Matthijs de Light is is a Centre back playing his club football for Serie A club Juventus and the Dutch national team. Matthijs de Light was born at Leiderdorp in the Netherlands on August 12, 1999. He began his football career at FC Abcoude Youth.
Matthijs de Light Profile
|Player Full Name
|Matthijs de Light
|22 years old
|Place of Birth
|Date of Birth
|August 12, 1999
|Matthijs de Ligt
During his early years, De Light was a very good tennis player until 9 years when he began his football career at Ajax joining the club’s academy. Fast forward, he made his senior Ajax debut in a cup match against Willem II on September 21, 2016, and the rest as they say is history.
When he started against Manchester United in the 2017 UEFA Europa League Final on May 24, he became the youngest player ever to appear in a major European final. This was not the first he was setting a record as he has had done it before when he scored in just 25 minutes into his debut game for Ajax to become the second-youngest goal-scorer in history.
The Dutchman in December 2018 became the first defender to win the Golden Boy Award and part of his success was that he helped the club to win a domestic double as well as reach a Champions League semi-final and his breakthrough to captaincy.
His performance necessitated his big-money move to Italian giants Juventus when he was signed in July 2019 for 75million euros. In his first season at Turin after making his debut in Serie A 4-3 win over Napoli, he won the title. His first goal for the club was against Torino in a 1-0 win.
At the age of 14 years,5 m0nths, and 27 days, De Light played for the Dutch national team at the U15 level under Peter van Dort in an international friendly that was played on February 8, 2014, in a 1-0 win over Ireland.
Thereafter, he rose through the ranks all through U16, U17, and U19 before he was called to join the senior team by Danny Blind on March 25, 2017, when he was aged 17 years, 7 months, and 13 days in a 2-0 loss to Bulgaria in a Europe World Cup qualifier. He scored his first international goal against Germany in the European qualifier on March 24, 2019.
Matthijs de Light Market value
The Centre back’s value has risen over time; an analysis of the current value reveals that Matthijs de Light has a market value of 77 million euros. Tracking back to his early days, he had a market value of 110,000 dollars as of July 2016 when he was 16 years old playing at Ajax Amsterdam.
Matthijs de Light Net worth
The Center-back has an estimated net worth of 9 million euros. The main source of his worth is his successful football career where he gets his earnings. With his age, Matthijs de Lights has the potential to create more money and build on his worth.
Matthijs de Light was born as the firstborn in his family to his parents Vivian de Light-mother and Frank de Light in the Western Netherlands at a place called Leiderdorp and later his family relocated to the South to a Town known as Abcoude. They were later blessed with twins namely Fleur and Wouter.
His love story dates back to 2014 when it was known that the 15-year-old Matthijs was dating a hockey player by the name Annick Diekman of HC Athena in Amsterdam. They say behind every successful man a woman is involved, the beautiful lady could be the reason for his achievements as they have been dating from childhood.
Matthijs de Light ranking.
Globally Matthijs de Light ranks at 26 among all players in the world. In his country Netherlands, he is number two. Looking at how he sits at the club level and the Serie A, he settles for position one at Juventus and position 2 in the Serie A respectively. At the Centre back, which is his main position of play, he ranks number 3. A quick look at his age mates, players born in 1999, Matthijs de Light stands at position 2.
FIFA 22 rating.
Matthijs de Light has an overall rating of 85 with the potential of 90. He rates with two stars in skill moves and three stars for the weak foot. He has an international reputation of three. His work rate is medium/high. In terms of traits, he has a power header and is a solid player
The Center-back who is nicknamed a total defender began his footballer career at a youth club called Fc Abcoude and in 2009 Ajax Amsterdam scouts identified him and he was signed on a free transfer. With his rise and after establishing himself, he drew the attention of Italian giants Juventus and for a fee of 82.5 million on July 18, 2019, signed him from Ajax.
Position and style of play
The main position of play for Matthijs de Light is at the Centre back. However, the top defender has been criticized for being inconsistent but his attributes like being calm have seen him get praise for being a leader. He positions himself at the right place and this allows him to protect his teammates.
Salary and contract
When he joined Juventus in 2019, Matthijs de Light had personal terms agreement with the club that saw him pen down a six-year contract that will keep him at the club until June 30, 2024. Matthijs de Light pockets a salary of 240,000 pounds a week totaling 11.5 million pounds per year at the club.
Achievements and individual awards
- Best player during the 2015 Copa Amsterdam.
- Named as the ABN AMRO Future Cup Best Player in 2015.
- In 2016, he was the Ajax Talent of the Future.
- Named in the 2016 UEFA European Under-17 Championship Team of the Tournament.
- In 2018, he was the Talent of the Year for Ajax.
- Was in the 2016-17 Europa League Squad of the Season.
- During the 2018-19 season, he was in the list of the Champions League Squad of the season.
- Named twice in the Squad if the Season in Eredivisie Team of the Year.
- 2018 Dutch Talent of the Year.
- 2019 Dutch Footballer of the Year.
- 2018 Golden Boy.
- 2019 Kopa Trophy.
- 2019 UEFA Team of the Year.
- Serie A with Juventus in 2019-2020 season.
- Coppa Italia with Juventus 2020-21.
- Suppercopa Italiana in 2020 with Juventus.
- Eredivisie in 2018-19 with Ajax
- KNVB Cup with Ajax in 2018-19.
- Runner up with Ajax in 2016-17 Europa League with Ajax.
- Runner up in 2019-20 Coppa Italia with Juventus.
- Runner up in Supercoppa Italiana in 2019 with Juventus.
- Runner up with Netherlands in UEFA Nations League
Matthijs de Light debuts
- His UEFA Champions League debut was on October 2, 2018 in a 1-1 draw between Ajax and Bayern Munich under Erik Ten Hag at the age of 19 years, 1 month and 20days.
- For UEFA Champions League qualifiers, he debuted on July 26,2017 under Marcel Keizer when he was 17 years, 11 months and 14 days, the game ended as a 1-1 draw between Ajax and Nice.
- In Europa League, his first game was in a 2-0 win by Ajax over Panathinaikos Athens that was played on November 24, 2016 with Peter Nosz as his coach, he was 17 years, 3 months and 12 days.
- Aged 18 years and 5days, he featured in a Europa League qualifying game between Rosenborg and Ajax as they lost by a goal under Marcel Keizer on August 17, 2017.
- January 15, 2020, under Maurizio Sarri he made his Coppa Italia debut in a 4-0-win over Udinese by Juventus when he was 20 years, 5 months and 3 days.
- In September 21, 2016 under Peter Bosz he featured in TOTO KNVB beker as Ajax thrashed Willem II Tilburg when he was 17 years, 1 month and 9 days.